viernes, 6 de diciembre de 2013

Nelson Mandela has died

Last night I received a whatssap from my son in Maastricht, which just read: "Dad, Mandela is gone!" It caught me so unawares that I admit I took a couple of seconds to realise the sad news: South Africa's first black President and arguably the most iconic, inspirational figure in politics over the last 50 years had passed away. Immediately, I logged on to BBC news and I read the headline: Mandela dies aged 95. His long battle against a lung infection was over. Madiba (his clan name), the father of modern South Africa, whose life had been devoted to a brave struggle against apartheid and in favour of the civil rights of his fellow black citizens, was dead.


It is only coincidence that Chani recently mentioned on our blog how Rodriguez, while utterly neglected in his native America, was passionately idolized in South Africa during the time when Mandela was in prison for 27 long years, and his music had inspired and kept alive the dreams of many people throughout the oppressive regime.

You know, I've always said that if was given the chance to meet a politician in the flesh that would, no doubt, be (have been, actually) Nelson Mandela, definitely one of my all-time heroes. A tortured man who was willing to forgive and forget his ruthless enemies for the sake and welfare of his country, who through his sensitive words and selfless deeds transformed a nation, a leader who's universally admired and acknowledged. His personal warmth and charisma always moved me, the story of his struggle and imprisonment, which I find so courageous, made me think of how generous a human being can be.

There are many memorable quotes that define his compelling personality. Among the many I could cite, I've extracted a few as a modest tribute to his life - and death:

- Racism is a blight on the human conscience. The idea that any people can be inferior to another, to the point where those who consider themselves superior define and treat the rest as sub-human, denies the humanity even of those who elevate themselves to the status of gods.

- Overcoming poverty is not a gesture of charity. It is an act of justice. It is the protection of a fundamental human right, the right to dignity and a decent life. While poverty persists, there is no true freedom.

- As the years progress one increasingly realises the importance of friendship and human solidarity. And if a 90-year-old may offer some unsolicited advice on this occasion, it would be that you, irrespective of your age, should place human solidarity, the concern for the other, at the centre of the values by which you live.

-  I was the symbol of justice in the court of the oppressor, the representative of the great ideals of freedom, fairness and democracy in a society that dishonoured those virtues. I realized then and there that I could carry on the fight even in the fortress of the enemy.

Such wise words he spoke, true lessons of human dignity and solidarity which we all (and especially our oft corrupted, selfish politicians) should learn from. That's why I decided to post this entry today, rather fittingly on the day we celebrate our Constitution, and I'd love you guys to join me and send in your own comments about Nelson Mandela. Politicians and religious leaders of all creeds across the world are unanimously praising the great man and his legacy so I'm sure many of you would like to share your thoughts about him too.


When I think of Mandela a song springs up, one by Scottish band Simple Minds, who in the late 80s paid a heartfelt tribute on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of his cruel imprisonment: "Mandela Day". The Youtube clip I've found features the song as well as some of Mandela's everlasting quotes plus a few articles of the Universal declaration of Human Rights, so often trampled in our society:


Mandela is finally free. Long live the spirit of Madiba!

5 comentarios:

  1. I finded out about Mandela's death at work by Facebook and I was in shock with a lump in my throat. I can't even speak to one customer who asked me what was was going on, I told her, and in that very moment she understood and felt the same. This news left a tear in my eye and no hope in my heart. We are now orphans of role models to follow. But his message of reconciliation, not vengeance, inspired the world and still does. His ideals and spirit will live forever.
    With all the love of millions of people all over the world, we say you goodbye Madiba!

    Here goes INVICTUS, a poem by William Ernest Henley, which Mandela kept in prision helping him to get over his imprisonment:

    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

    Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade,
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds and shall find me unafraid.

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-10743920

    http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/05/world/africa/nelson-mandela/

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Madiba has gone but his marvellous message of freedom, equality and Human Rigts is still alive in our heart and head.
    Rest in peace.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. I've read your entry about the death of Nelson Mandela .And I must admit that I share all your feelings and thoughts about such an extraordinary human being.So I find it diffcicult to say something different, because you have expressed yourself everything I think so well that there is no room for anything else.
    Only to say that Mandela was for me the symbol of forgiveness,for the sake of
    the people, for the whole nation black and white all together.Above all, he wanted peace,recontiliation and equality.He had the idea that South Africa belongs to all its
    people with equals rights for all of them.
    His humility is a great example to follow.His struggle made that thousands of
    people took the streets in fight for freedom and human rights.
    Putting aside political debate,ideologies ,tendencies and vested interest the whole world has paid tribute to such inspiring figure.
    Finally,thinking about the past present and future of South Africa the remarkable legacy of Madiba always wiil be there,in the heart of all its citizens and in the rest of the world.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Nelson Mandela’s death has been some dreadful news that I cannot remain silent about. The world has lost a true hero as well as an unmistakable human figure and a symbol of peace. There are not enough words to describe the greatness of his life. Inevitably, we all knew that this undesirable day would come but there is nothing which could alleviate the feeling worldwide of deep and permanent loss.
    Rivers of ink have been written to praise this incomparable humble man and many more will continue to be written throughout history, undoubtedly. Nelson Mandela has been a legend in his own lifetime who must be emphasized even more from now on. Thank you very much Nelson for your generosity towards the people and goodbye, our darling “Madiba”; you will be in our memory and hearts forever.

    ResponderEliminar