miércoles, 9 de octubre de 2013

A new year ...a new blog

Hello everyone and welcome!
Yes, a new year at school has just started and, as I've been doing for the last 5 years, this is a new edition of my / your "EOI blog". 

Some of you guys (as well as former students of mine) have been asking me lately if I intended to have a go again. A few even told me you were thinking of writing some to get it going. The thing is I had no clue how to start it even if I had something from Fernando, one of my 2º Avanzado students this year, an article of opinion with his personal take on the harsh ongoing economic crisis.

So I was reading the press on my Mac when I came across a headline that caught my attention: "Kismet Diner gana el Manhattan Short Film Festival". Well, it suddenly dawned on me that I had the perfect excuse to kick this blog off!

You know, I had been lucky enough, thanks to a former student (and a faithful follower of my blogs!), to know that this self-proclaimed global festival was held in Salamanca alongside other Spanish cities (madrid, Bilbao and Valencia, no less!). People were cordially invited to attend the screening, during three days, of ten short films, the finalists we were told, among over six hundred productions from nearly 50 countries across the globe, and then vote for our favourite film as well as the best actor / actress. Being all of them in original version, I felt instantly appealed and I went to the venue, the Museo del Comercio. 

I really enjoyed the shorts on offer, different from each other in style and content, featuring different languages, from English to Finnish, from French to Russian, but all of them, to my mind, excellent quality. I've always believed that many times a good short film can move you much more than a 2-hour-long feature, you know, too often the commercial yet mindless Hollywood blockbuster. 

There was one short that I especially loved, Seb Edwards' British production "Friday", the hard yet captivating story of  a teenage boy struggling to come to terms with the loss of his mother on the anniversary of her death. Set in the wake of the 7/7 terrorist attacks in London, the film stars talented young actor Reece Noi. I found the film's cinematography utterly mesmerizing, the story deeply stirring and Noi's performance so compelling, so much so that I had no doubt Friday was my definite choice.

This is the only stuff I've been able to find, the official trailer. Seemingly, it has won many awards worldwide, including one in Spain, in Tarragona to be precise.


I was somewhat disappointed to read that Friday did not win the award (it actually scooped a modest fifth spot) but at least it was kind of small consolation that Noi was voted best actor.

So the winner, as the headline above reads, is another British production directed by English filmmaker Mark Nunneley. Mind you, the truly romantic story seems to be set in an American diner (spelt with a single "n" - a roadside restaurant, that is). Even though I enjoyed the sweet short, I still preferred the much grittier Friday, but I must admit the audience present in Museo del Comercio that evening started applauding the film (Kisnet Diner, I mean) rather enthusiastically the minute it ended. They must have been right to do so since it eventually won the coveted top prize!

So this is the clip of the short feature for you to decide it is a worthy winner of the global festival. Needless to say, it is in original version and subtitled in Spanish. You guys are all welcome to send in your comments about Kisnet Diner
José Luis Antigüedad





3 comentarios:

  1. I'm just checking that you can send your comments in, even anonymously. If you choose to do so, please write your name at the end, will you? TY!
    Jose Luis

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Wow, as a real fan myself of that show, I couldn’t have thought of a better way to begin your brand new blog 2013-2014 this academic year. Congrats José Luis, for doing this go once more, and for your endless endeavor!

    ONE WORLD, ONE WEEK, ONE FESTIVAL!

    This slogan is what captivated me some time ago, when the Festival started to be aired in Salamanca.

    The only idea of being part of this globaly known competition for everyone who has a story to tell, which takes place over 100,000 films lovers in over 300 cities across six continents in diferent places, such as Cinemas, Galleries or Museums, connecting people Worldwide, for just the sake of fun and enjoyment, by means of the celebration that happens almost simultaneously across the Globe is absolutely exciting, don’t you think so?

    Via the most convincing short movies submitted each season, you can choose your fave, being yourself the Judge of the Finalists Films, voting for that one you think should win. Thrilling, isn’t it?

    These lines are only my humble homage to this wonderful Festival I strongly recommend!

    ER

    ResponderEliminar
  3. First and foremost, I should say that I can certainly see your point and I agree to some extent. But as far as I am concerned Friday (the short film, I mean) is fairly sad because it triggers some mixed feelings such as the pain of bereavement and the understandable anger against life.

    Personally speaking, I reckon that people need more stories which make them happy so I disagree with your choice. Obviously, I have not seen all the short films because I have only seen the two that you have posted on the blog but I consider it is more than enough to make a choice. Well, the winner film is my best election, not only owing to the fact that I’m a romantic person but also because it has already caused a great impact on me as well. Although, at first sight, the film seems to be a mawkish love story, I firmly believe that it actually conveys a lot of messages about feelings and intuitions as well as misunderstandings and attitudes, let alone people’s typical premonition of taking something for granted.

    Evidently, I am neither a film buff nor a film critic, and therefore from the personal point of view of a simple member of the audience I daresay that Kisnet Diner brings about an inevitably wide range of emotions. For instance, the solidarity of the boy and the waiter – I undoubtedly can forgive the owner of the premises , who is at first a bit reluctant to this feeling , but that is just an ephemeral moment. Apart from this, there is the unexpected special book which in a certain way appears as if by magic when the supposed beggar leaves the roadside restaurant. No one can deny that magic flourishes in the heart of the people, very much like hopes to make life more appealing and bearable.

    Finally, I would like to say that I am very proud that this worldwide film festival which brings together crowds (of people) all over the world has taken place here, in Salamanca. It is absolutely fascinating that we may be well-known thanks to this excellent global event.

    Chani

    ResponderEliminar