jueves, 20 de febrero de 2014

Maribel - My favourite scene: THE GREAT DICTATOR

Sir Charles Spencer Chaplin (1889-1977), better known as Charlot, was an incredible comic actor, really well-known to the whole world, and one who will be remembered forever.


He invented a new way of making films as he mixed humour and the denunciation of social problems at that moment. Some of his most famous films are silent, but I would like to highlight Modern Times, where Charles Chaplin’s voice is first heard. 

This film shows the hard and alienating work on an assembly line, very common at that time. But, his most famous and, in my opinion, his best movie is The Great Dictator which he wrote, starred, directed and produced himself. Chaplin wants to condemn and mock Hitler’s (and Mussolini’s) dictatorship. It is a 1940 film, so the Nazi horror had not even started and it is said that Chaplin regretted making it after knowing the real abomination of Hitler’s acts. I really thank him for this masterpiece he made because he lets me enjoy his magnificent work.

Then, I’ll just add the film has some memorable scenes, for instance, “Hitler” playing with a globe, which has a really thought-provoking double meaning. Finally, I would love to highlight one of my favourite scenes in cinema history and, I believe, the best in the film: his final speech. After listening to it you can say lots of things about this extraordinary actor but I just can find one adjective: unique.





Thank you so much, Maribel! Indeed Chaplin's black and white masterpiece way back in the 1940s is an excellent way to start what I hope will be a prolific post about all of you guys' fave scenes in movie history. C'mon, what are you waiting for?


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario