sábado, 22 de febrero de 2014

Sara Collantes - My favourite scene: In the Name of the Father (1993)

I've chosen a scene of my favourite film ever because, in my opinion, it is one of the most decisive points of the story. To understand the scene, we need to know a few things about the plot and the true events which the film is based on.

The director, Jim Sheridan (My left foot, The Boxer) is known for dealing in his films with the turbulent history of The Troubles, the conflict which took place in Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland and England between the 60s and the 90s. However, the problems between catholics and protestants go a long way back.

The film is a screen adaptation of the book “Proved Innocent” by Gerry Conlon, who was wrongly convicted by the British police. Between the period 1974-1989, during the hardest years of the conflict, the police, thanks to a new law called Prevention of Terrorism Act, were allowed to hold prisoners, suspected of belonging to a terrorist group, especially the IRA, regardless of whether the police had evidence or not. Gerry and three of his friends (known as “The Guildford Four”) were accused, tortured and convicted of blowing up a pub where a British military party was taking place. His father was also accused and kept in custody alongside Gerry.

In my favourite scene, the harrowing death of Gerry's father, Giuseppe, is shown. Up to this point, we can compare the completely different attitude of the father and his son; Giuseppe is the honest, hard-working man who is certain about his innocence and in the hope of being released. Gerry, however, suffers from self-pity, despair and arrogance at first, but we can see how he changes and matures throughout the film. 

This scene always brings me a tear to my eye and a lump in my throat because of the fabulous acting, the moving moment and the Celtic music playing in the background.

The whole film is a real tribute to life, justice and freedom.



4 comentarios:

  1. Sara, thanks for showing me this film, it is in "my list" to watch because lots of people had recommended it to me and after reading your post I'm sure I'll do it. As I can see, it is about a theme I'm interested in because of my love to Ireland. So, when I get some spare time it'll be dedicated to enjoy this film.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Sorry for the big big spoiler!!
    I've never been to Ireland, but I don't know why I have this kind of inconditional love for all related to the Emerald Isle. I like its history, art, language (I even started a book about Irish Gaelic, too difficult!) and of course music and cinema.
    If you're as interested as me in this topic, I also recommend you "The Wind that Shakes the Barley", "Omagh" and " The Boxer".

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Thanks!! I've already heard about "The Wind that Shakes the Barley" but never about the other two.
    If you love Ireland you must go, I'm sure it won't disappoint you, it's an amazing place with very friendly people from north to south, I really recommend you to go.
    About the Gaelic, I wasn't able to learn any single word when I was there!!

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Great music and great Daniel-Day Lewis!

    ResponderEliminar